Lake Forest School District’s Elementary Acceleration Program
1. What is the Acceleration Program at Lake Forest?
It is a program designed to increase rigor and meet the needs of students who have demonstrated high academic abilities in Reading and/or Math. In this program, students will complete grade level content at a faster pace and then move on to the next year’s standards.
2. How is the Acceleration Program different than the ACE Program?
The ACE program was an enrichment program which covered grade level content and students were placed in both Reading and Math as a cohort. In the Acceleration Program, students will receive an accelerated curriculum in Reading, Math or both and progress at a pace that will allow them to learn standards for the next grade level. This progression is designed to give students the opportunity to earn higher level credits as they move through our school system.
3. What criteria were used for the Acceleration Program?
Students are selected using district-wide data criteria from the following assessments: DCAS, OLSAT, MUST, Gates, curriculum assessments, and teacher input.
4. My child did not qualify for the Acceleration Program this school year. Can my child qualify next year?
Yes, every student’s assessment data will be reviewed throughout the school year to determine placement and continuation in the Acceleration Program.
5. If my child transfers to Lake Forest in the middle of the school year; can my child be placed in the Acceleration Program?
Transfer students that show the potential to meet success in the Acceleration Program will be screened based upon the selection criteria shown above. If the student meets the criteria, he/she will be placed in the Acceleration Program. If the above data is not available from the sending school, the student will be assessed and placed accordingly.
6. My child did not qualify for the Acceleration Program. What type of class will he/she be placed?
Your child will be placed in a typical class with students with a range of academic abilities. Students in all classes will receive differentiated instruction to meet their individual academic needs.
7. What happens if my child does not meet the Acceleration Program standards through the course of the school year?
A meeting will occur with the parents, teachers and administration to address the student’s needs. The student will be placed in another classroom more suitable to his/her academic requirements.
8. If a space becomes available in the Acceleration Program through the course of the school year, will students be considered for the program at that time?
Selection for the Accelerated Program is not based upon availability. Students are selected for the program based upon the selection criteria shown above.
9. As a parent, do I have the right to opt out of the Acceleration Program even though my child qualified?
Yes, parents / guardians may opt for their child not to participate in the Acceleration Program. If you do not want your child to participate in the Accelerated Program, please call and speak with a school administrator.
10. My question was not answered in this FAQ. What should I do?
We are here to help! Please do not hesitate to contact us with any additional questions or concerns.