The School Nutrition Association (SNA) has endorsed and is urging strong support for the Universal School Meals Program Act of 2021. This act, introduced by Senators Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) and Representatives Ilhan Omar (D-MN) and Gwyn Moore (D-WI), would ensure that all children have access to nutritious meals while at school, in summer and afterschool programs, and child care.
The Universal School Meals Program Act of 2021 would:
- Offer free school breakfast, school lunch, and afterschool supper for all children in schools and child care facilities.
- Increase the reimbursement rates for school breakfast and school lunch to match the recommended rates from the USDA School Nutrition and Meal Cost Study – April 2019
- Eliminate unpaid meal charges by providing funding to schools for all delinquent school meal debt.
- Create a $0.30 reimbursement for all schools that procure foods from local farmers and manufacturers in their community.
- Provide free summer meals to all children and extend Summer Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer (P-EBT) to all low-income students.
Take Action: Support the Universal School Meals Program Act – our students depend on YOU to speak up!