**ATTENTION SPARTAN FAMILIES! Very Important Information regarding school lunches!***
In the future, Lake Forest may not qualify for free lunches per the community Eligibility Program (CEP). By submitting your input, you can help keep school meals free to all students permanently!
It only takes a minute to take action below. Please share with others!
Click here to submit a letter.
The School Nutrition Association (SNA) has endorsed and is urging strong support for the Universal School Meals Program Act of 2021. This act, introduced by Senators Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) and Representatives Ilhan Omar (D-MN) and Gwyn Moore (D-WI), would ensure that all children have access to nutritious meals while at school, in summer and afterschool programs, and child care.
The Universal School Meals Program Act of 2021 would:
- Offer free school breakfast, school lunch, and afterschool supper for all children in schools and child care facilities.
- Increase the reimbursement rates for school breakfast and school lunch to match the recommended rates from the USDA School Nutrition and Meal Cost Study – April 2019
- Eliminate unpaid meal charges by providing funding to schools for all delinquent school meal debt.
- Create a $0.30 reimbursement for all schools that procure foods from local farmers and manufacturers in their community.
- Provide free summer meals to all children and extend Summer Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer (P-EBT) to all low-income students.
Take Action: Support the Universal School Meals Program Act – our students depend on YOU to speak up!